It is frustrating when you experience performance or connectivity problems while playing any game on your mobile device. Your time is precious, and your game time is even more so!
At Kabam, we want you to have a seamless, stress-free, and immersive experience with all of our games. At times a game might freeze, or stop responding unexpectedly, and we are dedicated to identifying the root causes of these issues. Below are some connectivity or crashing issues that may occur and how to help prevent them.
Game Experiencing Lag
Lag, sometimes referred to as latency, high ping, low frames per second (FPS), or stuttering, is when your game appears to slow down or take a longer than expected time to complete an action. This can be seen in the game as a delay in traveling from one node to another, a crystal taking a few extra seconds to show you its contents, or general input lag.
Input lag is the time between when you tap the screen to when the action takes place. A large amount of input lag can mean the difference between a well-timed block or an uppercut from your foe.
Combat and timing in the game can be very important, particularly in time-sensitive fights or difficult content. If you are experiencing an unusual amount of lag, you may want to check out the troubleshooting articles linked below. Regular maintenance on your device and game app can help reduce lag and keep you rising up those leaderboards!
Game Constantly Crashing
Crashing is always terribly inconvenient, especially with your time and resources at risk. As such, this is something we have always paid special attention to. We continue to work with device manufacturers in an effort to prevent this as much as possible.
However, constant crashing, freezing, and restarting are usually signs of a software or app problem. This does not necessarily mean that your device is broken, but it probably needs some cleanup.
- Make sure that you have enough memory to run the game. Restart your device occasionally to free up its virtual memory.
- Check to see that your device and game app are up to date. Performing regular maintenance, such as updating your operating system and the game app, can prevent most connectivity issues.
- Our Device Compatibility article will let you know if your device or operating system is compatible with Kabam games.
- Try switching between Wi-Fi and cellular data. Wi-Fi will typically give you a stronger, more stable connection than cellular data will.
- Open your Settings app and then the "Wireless & networks" or "Connections" option. Depending on your device, these options may be different.
- Turn Wi-Fi off and cellular data on, and check to see if there is a difference.
- If there is no improvement, turn cellular data off and Wi-Fi on and see if that helps.
- Check your device's Wi-Fi signal indicator (typically near the top of the home screen). If this is not displayed, or little to none of the bars are filled in, you may be out of range of your network. Move closer to the router and see if that improves your connection.
- If you have a dual-band router, switch from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz. While 2.4 GHz gives you a larger coverage area, 5 GHz transmits at a faster speed and is ideal for graphic-intensive applications.
- Restart your wireless router. If you are connecting to Wi-Fi at home, check your router's manual for instructions on how to reset it. Often you can:
- Unplug the router from the electrical outlet and make sure the lights on the router go out.
- Wait 30 seconds.
- Plug the router back in and wait for all of the lights to come back on.
- If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after you complete the above, we recommend that you contact your internet service provider or the manager or your Wi-Fi network.
Device and Operating System Troubleshooting
For tips on making sure your device is operating at its best, visit the articles below in our Knowledge Base:
How Can I Get Additional Help?
If you wish to contact Kabam Support for further assistance, to report ongoing connectivity issues, or with troubleshooting steps that have worked for you, please click on the button at the bottom of this article. Perform a speed test via the website www.speedtest.net or another service to identify the quality of your connection. Including a screenshot of your speed test results will be useful in our investigation into your issues.
Marvel Contest of Champions
My Game Crashed While I Was Opening a Crystal
Do not worry—your items are not lost! When your game is connected to our servers and you open a crystal on your device, you are actually “spinning it” on our servers. This means that the information related to your crystal is saved, and so are the items you receive from it.
This system helps us make sure that the spin is safe from crashes and other technical issues that you might have experienced.
If your game app or device does crash or disconnect while you were opening a crystal, log back into the game. From there, check your inventory, Champions, and stash to see your new Champion(s), resources, or item(s). Keep in mind that if it appears you did not receive a reward from a crystal, like a new Champion, you may have gotten a duplicate Champion! If you are unsure about which items you received, please contact our support team to request that information.
My Game Crashed in the Middle of a Fight
When logging back into the game within 10 minutes of a crash or disconnection, you should see a fight-recovery screen and be able to resume the fight where you left it.
This feature is available in:
- Event quests
- Story quests
- Daily quests
You will NOT get a fight recovery screen in:
- Alliance quests
- Alliance wars
Should you disconnect during one of the fights that are not part of the recovery system, you may have to start that fight over again as if you were fighting for the first time. Similarly, should you have any connectivity issues when moving through a node on a map, your progress may not be registered, and you may have to move over those nodes again.
While this may involve multiple non-engagement nodes, you should not have to re-fight more than one fight when this occurs. If you do crash during a fight, your Champion may take additional damage due to inactivity.
To avoid exploitation, the fight-recovery feature will only trigger once every two hours. >For more information on this feature, please see our article on the fight recovery system.